Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Control your mail clutter with this simple file system

I must admit, there are probably much prettier ways to control mail chaos. However, for me, my priority is simply to get it out of my way. I generally get the mail on the way in from running errands or picking kids up from school. Consequently, my hands are always full and I have little to no time to deal with the mess. I created this simple folder system to help me get the mail off my counter and out of the way... in less than a minute.

This file-folder holder, designed for offices, sits on my kitchen counter. I purchased both it and the folders inside for less than $10 at WalMart a few years ago. It's divided into three sections each with two labeled file folders. The first section handles bills, both paid and current. The middle section handles coupons & receipts. The last section handles misc. mail and mailing supplies.

When I bring in the mail, I dump it on the counter in front of this sorter. Any junk mail gets dumped in the trash (it's nearby). I open and throw out all envelopes. Any bills go into the 'Current Bills' folder. Coupons I think I might actually use I put into the 'Coupons' folder. The magazines that require reading I toss over to the basket near the couch. Catalogs that I want to flip through, but don't have time for at the moment, are stashed behind the misc. folder. Whenever I'm stirring something or listening to messages, I grab one of these catalogs from the folder, flip through it, and then toss it.

On Sunday nights after the kids go to bed, I pay my bills. I grab the 'Current Bills' folder and pay all my bills online. Once I've paid the bill online, I write a slash across it, circle the amount (or write it in, if it's different), and jot down the date. When I've paid all the bills in the pile, I add them to the 'Paid Bills' folder. Generally these hard copies stay in this folder for around 3 months and then get shredded.

The 'Receipts' folder holds any receipts I dig out of my purse that day. Every month or so, I go through the receipts and pitch those that don't have any return potential. Those that have an item over $100 I add to the receipts binder (mentioned in a previous post http://meckmom.blogspot.com/2006/05/few-more-bright-binder-ideas.html) in the cupboard nearby.

The 'Misc.' folder holds any mail that doesn't fit into the other categories but that I want to hang on to, like invitations, credit card offers, and addresses from envelopes I want to keep. I also have a blank folder in the back that holds mail supplies. In it I have a few blank thank you cards, various envelopes, and stamps.

Again, this isn't the prettiest system, but it works. It keeps my counters clear while saving me time and late fees…in my book, that makes it worth it. Just thought I'd pass it on. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is soooo gonna love you for this idea!!

MeckMom said...

lol, happy to help. :)

Lisa said...

I just bought a great file-folder holder at target for $10 it included the folders and I love it. Thanks so much for the amazing idea. I feel so much more organized. C