Monday, July 10, 2006

Bunk Bed Bedding Solution

I've always hated making bunk beds. It's such a pain to try to reach up to the top bunk to tuck in the excess. My girls have a hard time too. We struggled with it until I came across this bright solution.

You should know, this solution will only work if you intend to keep your beds up against the wall. My girl's room is too small to have freestanding beds, so this worked great for me.

Rather than buy two twin size quilts. I bought one king size and cut it right down the middle. Luckily, king size children's bedding is almost always the first to go on sale, so I got a steal (as a bonus, they usually come with a pair of shams). After cutting the quilt, I simply stiched up the rough edges. It wasn't particularly pretty, but it didn't matter because no one ever sees the wall side.

The quilts look normal from the room side, but actually only hang down 2 or 3 inches on the wall side. It's so much easier for my girls to make their beds now that they don't have to fiddle with the extra width. The king size is a little longer than the regular twin size, but that actually helps too. I fold the excess length under the mattress and tuck it under the mattress supports. It helps keep the quilt from shifting all over and makes it easier for the girls to straighten.

I've washed these quilts tons of times and so far, the edges have held up well. I'm sure it won't last forever, but getting 2 sets of bedding for under $40 is tough to beat. Just thought I'd pass it on. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you mind sharing where you found such cute kids bedding at such a great price? Your girls' room is adorable!

MeckMom said...

Actually, I bought it over two years ago, so I doubt anyone still carries it. I found it at Bed, Bath & Beyond in their clearance bin. I guess there aren't many children with King size beds. :)
If that doesn't work out for you, I'd check overstock.com or ebay. I bought my master bedding on those two sites and got some great deals.