Thursday, March 23, 2006

Pottery Barn art boards for a fraction of the price!

I always loved those art boards you see in the Pottery Barn Kids magazine. They're so simple and useful. However, at $30 each they were a little out of my range. Consequently, I decided to make my own.

I bought a pre-painted white, 8-foot piece of molding from Home Depot. I cut it into three equal sections and painted each with acrylic paint (I did two coats). Then I sprayed them with clear gloss to protect the finish.

I bought big magnetic clips from WalMart and popped out the magnets. Next, I used a very short screw to attach the clips to the board. I imagine you could also leave the magnets in and use a very strong super glue to attach them. I used 3M's 'command adhesive' picture hangers to attach them to the wall (you can find those at WalMart too, in hardware next to the hooks).

For about $12 I made three of these handy little art boards and it they were finished in less than a day. My kids love having a place to stash their latest pieces and I love having my fridge back. Just thought I'd pass it on. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IKEA sells a great little magnetic strip similar to this for under $3. They are silver but could be painted to match your decor. Thanks for all the great tips!