Monday, March 06, 2006

Liven up St. Patrick's day with this fun tradition

St. Patrick's day was always a little dull at our house. We usually do the green pancakes and such, but I wanted something a little more fun for my kids to look forward to in March.

One year my oldest daughter fell asleep on one of those green beaded necklaces. When she woke up on St. Patrick's Day, she had a strange green marking on her belly. She didn't realize what had happened, so I told her that a lucky leprechaun must have snuck into her room late at night and left her his good luck mark. I told her the mark was very special because it promised an entire year of good luck. She was thrilled. Whenever she was nervous or scared during the following year I reminded her of the mark and she'd get a sudden burst of courage.

We had so much fun with it, that I've made it a St. Patrick's Day tradition. Each year, I sneak into their rooms at night and draw a tiny green clover somewhere on their bodies. When they wake up on St. Patrick's Day, they search for their mark and then rush in to tell me all about the great luck they'll have that year. It's an quick and easy way to brighten up an otherwise uneventful holiday. Just thought I'd pass it on.

No comments: