Monday, January 29, 2007

Quick information on the go with text messaging

Contrary to popular belief, text messaging isn't just for teenagers. Believe it or not, it's a great way to get quick information. I often use it throughout the day to stay in touch with my husband while he's at work. He's frequently in meetings or otherwise unavailable for a conversation. Rather than leave multiple messages for him, I simply send him a text such as "should I get a babysitter for Friday?". Regardless of whether he's on the phone or in a meeting, he's able to send me a quick reply. It saves both of us time and helps us stay connected throughout the day.

Google is another great source for text information. Most of us use Google online to get quick information like business phone numbers, movie showtimes, directions, weather and misc. information. What you may not know is that you can get all that information on your phone as well. Why pay $2 for every 411 call when you can get it from Google for free? Simply send a text message of your question to 466453 ('GOOGLE' on most devices). Generally within about 5 seconds Google will text you back with the info you requested. For example, if I want to know what time the movie 'Catch and Release' is playing at my local movie theatre I text 'catch and release 66062' to Google. After a few seconds, I get three text messages back listing the showtimes of that particular movie in each of my three local theatres (as well as their addresses and phone numbers). For samples of what types of questions you can ask and how to format them, click this link http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/mobile/sms/. I think you'll be amazed how much information is right at your fingertips.

Most cell phone plans include at least a certain number of free text messages. If you've never used it, you should check your plan and try it out. I've found it texting incredibly helpful and efficient. Anything that saves me time, keeps me connected, and doesn't cost me a dime is a keeper in my book. Just thought I'd pass it on.


No comments: