Monday, October 02, 2006

Simple bed-in-a-bag solution for guests

Unfortunately, we don't have a guest bedroom in our house, so when we have company I have to be able to put a bed together in a hurry. Rather than stuff my linen closet with the extra sheets, pillows and blankets, I came up with this handy solution.

I created my own bed-in-a-bag by using these giant Ziploc bags available at any superstore. Fancier vacuum-type bags would also work really well, but they were too expensive so I went for the cheaper version.

First, I labeled them with a magic marker according to size (twin, queen/king). Next, I folded the sheets and pillow cases according to size and added them to the bag. For the twin bedding, I was also able to fit in the blanket and pillow. For the queen/king, I fit the sheets and both pillows but used a separate bag for the quilt and duvet. Finally, I added a few dryer sheets to the bags to keep them smelling fresh.

These bags seal so well, that I'm able to stash them in the basement and save the linen closet for my day-to-day towels and sheets. When I have a guest coming over, I just run downstairs, grab one of these bags, and set up the room. It's quick, convenient, and hassle-free. Just thought I'd pass it on. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a sidenote-I read something, somewhere (so not sure who to give credit to) but it talked about saving room in your linen closets by putting extra sheets not in use between your mattress and box springs. I do this for ours and my childrens extra bedding. I have more room for the *other* things that seems to creep in and take up space in our house. BTW-I love the bed in a bag idea for guest bedding! Thanks for sharing.

MeckMom said...

What a great idea! That will save me tons of space in my linen closet. Thanks for posting it. Keep those great ideas coming.