Monday, June 19, 2006

More details on the 'Organize Your Games' post

After my last post, I went through my games and thought I'd add a few more details.

First off, there are tons of choices in these leftover-type containers. I thought I'd pass on a few of my favorites.

For the larger-size games (pictured here) I like the Glad-brand "family" size containers. For the smaller games, like Sorry or Monopoly, I use Rubbermaid brand. I can't remember what the containers are called on the label, but they have the number "2" on the lids and bases. Rubbermaid offers these number 2 containers in both open and divided styles. The divided containers are great for games with money, like Life or Monopoly, because they allow you to store the money separate from all the pieces.

As for the game rules, I stash those in a sheet protector that's stored in the trunk with the boards. There are a few games that print the rules on the box, but most common game instructions are available online if you search Google. Simply print what you need and add them to your packet.

One more loosely related tip, if you have any of those obnoxiously loud kids games like Duck Pond or The Fishing Game, you may want to experiment with the batteries. I found out, completely by accident, that if I removed one of the batteries from our Duck Pond game the pond would still move but the annoying quacking sound was disabled. Just thought I'd pass it on. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT??? You disable the duck quacking? Isn't that against the duck quacking code of ethics? (we do that too :)
Love ya, Mindy

Anonymous said...

I L-O-V-E your blog! Because of your ideas, I am so excited to get organized, and my dh is equally, if not more, excited that I'm excited! I have loved containerizing in the past, but you have inspired me even more. I have been brainstorming for months on how to preserve and organize our games. I am so tired of replacing games because we're missing 2 or 3 vital pieces. I can't wait to try this! One tip I have learned, is if I tape the board seam (with duct tape or heavy packaging tape) of a new game, the board tends to last longer and the seems don't rip and pull apart as quickly. Thanks again for your ideas and for taking the time to share them!!