Thursday, June 22, 2006

More details on the 'Kid's Closet Organization' post

Thanks Erika, for you question about the details of the dresser system I listed on a previous post <http://meckmom.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_meckmom_archive.html>. Here are few of the specifics.

I have 5 plastic drawers in each kid's stack. I'll list them from the top down.

· Shoes & Accessories
This one holds all those miscellaneous items like belts, slippers, hats & cover-ups. It also holds any shoes they don't wear regularly. The shoes my kids wear on a daily basis (generally 1 or 2 pairs of casual and 1 pair of church) are kept in a big basket by the door.
· Underwear
This one is divided with foam core dividers (see previous post) into three sections. The first section holds undershirts and swimming suits. The middle section holds underwear. The last section holds socks and tights.
· Shirts
· Pants
· Pajamas


Dress shirts, jackets, and dresses hang on the rod above. My kids have fairly wide closets so I'm able to put two stacks facing each other in a closet with just enough room between for the drawers to open. However, when we had an apartment with smaller closets, I slid these under the beds and stacked one next to the crib.

As for the labels, I printed them on full-sheet sticker paper (I like Avery). I use laminating film (the cheap kind you buy in a roll) to cover and protect the label edges. I usually cut it about 1" larger than the label on all sides.

These drawers offer one more bonus in my house. There's about 8 inches of clearance between the back of the drawers and the side of the closet. I use that space as temporary storage for all the outdated clothes. Whenever I'm putting away laundry and come across something that doesn't fit or is no longer in season, I just toss it back behind the stack.
Once a quarter or so I pull the drawers out and retrieve all the old clothes. I pack them by size into big tubs, label them, and stash them in the basement.

If you're one of those people that can't sleep at night because there's a pile of unfolded clothes lurking behind your dressers, then this part of the system won't work for you. But it works great for me :). Just thought I'd pass it on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I love your site! You have so many helpful suggestions. You are one of those "born-organized" people that I just love!

Anyway, I am having a hard time finding these drawers for the closet. Can you give me an idea of where you found them and around how much they are? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Kim

MeckMom said...

Kim,
Thanks for the compliment. I'm afraid my organization comes more from desperation than actual talent, but I'll take the compliment anyway. :)
As for the containers, I bought mine at Target and Kmart. They weren't cheap. I think I paid around $9 a piece for them. They had cheaper versions, but I wanted something that would last.
I bought mine several years ago, so you might have to look around a few stores to find the right size for your closet. I would guess they are still available simply because I didn't buy mine all at once. I bought a new stack with each baby and was always able to find them.
I hope that helps. Good luck.